Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Orlando Easterly Wetlands Tour

I can't wait to tell you guys what I did today! This morning I arrived at the Orlando Easterly Wetlands to take a tour. (The tour was all a prep for educational classes I am going to be giving at the wetlands). I had such an amazing time on my tour and I learned so much!

First of all, the site sits on 1,650 acres of land in east Orange County, FL. It is actually man made and was created as an alternate method for treatment and reuse of waste water. The wetland treatment system was tested and found to be a viable solution. The really great thing about using a wetland treatment system is that it allows the city to meet its treatment and disposal needs, reclaim a vital wetland, and create a valuable habitat for wildlife.


The wetland system works because aquatic ecosystems can naturally remove the nitrogen and phosphorus from waste water. 40 million gallons of reclaimed water enter into this wetland system everyday and the water travels through the wetlands for about 40 days until it is dispensed into the St. Johns River. In the picture to the left I am standing at the site where the water is pumped into the wetlands.






My favorite aspect of this project is that it creates a habitat for wildlife. There are nearly 200 animal species that live in this environment, including several endangered species. Before the project began there were less than 2 dozen species of wildlife. It is so important for these animals to have a place to call home as we are continually tearing down their natural environment for our benefit. (Shopping centers, new suburbs, apartment complexes, etc.) As you can see in my pictures, I am seen with a snapping turtle and I even got to hold an alligator!





I had such a great time visiting the wetlands and it makes me have that much more pride in my beautiful state. Being out in nature today was such a relaxing experience, and I hope you enjoy some of the pictures that we took today. The 2 pictures that you see to the left are 2 of my favorite nature shots of today. I can't wait to start giving my own tours and sharing this wonderful experience and knowledge with the children who I will be teaching. If you live in the area I encourage you to come by on Saturday afternoons for tours.

For more information please check out the website: http://www.cityoforlando.net/public_works/wetlands/videos.htm

With Love,
Jolie Noelle Schamber
Miss Teen Earth United States

No comments:

Post a Comment